Beef brisket has long muscle fibres that become soft and tender when cooked low and slow with moist heat. It makes its own delicious sauce while cooking, and can be made a day ahead, re-warming nicely in its own gravy.
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 crushed bay leaf
- 4 lbs trimmed beef brisket
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 sweet onions — quartered
- 10 small/medium potatoes — quartered
- 6 carrots — peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Make rub by combining seasonings, and season brisket on all sides with rub.
- Place brisket in a roasting pan and roast uncovered for 1 hour.
- Lower oven temp to 300°.
- Add beef stock, onions, potatoes and carrots.
- Cover tightly with lid of roasting pan.
- Cook for 4 hours (dependant on brisket size) until fork tender.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
I’m Mikayla Murphy, Certified Nutritional Practitioner and owner of Groundwork Health + Wellness! My entire practice revolves around traditional cooking and old fashioned nutrition as a way to regain your health.
I stick to traditions, not trends, to find true, vibrant health. We work together to build your health from the ground up using real food and the science of nutrition. I’d love to connect with you!