Beef cheeks are a delicacy that can be hard to find — especially if you’re looking for naturally-raised, grass-fed, hormone & antibiotic-free meat.
You can see beef cheeks on high-end restaurant menus, though with just a little effort, you can easily get gourmet results in your own kitchen. The key to amazing beef cheeks is to braise them low and slow. This converts the collagen in the muscle fibres to gelatine, which creates a falling-apart tender meat with incredible flavour.
Here’s our chef’s recipe for outstanding beef cheeks:
- Sear beef cheeks in olive oil at high heat, on one side only. Once the bottom of the meat is well browned, remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Rough-chop a large yellow onion, 3 medium carrots, 1 stick of celery, and 2 cloves of garlic, and brown them well in the meat pan. Then add 2 cups each of red wine and medium sherry, and simmer to reduce liquid by half.
- Make a bouquet garni of bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary, then add it with the beef cheeks, vegetables, and sauce into a dutch oven, and bake at 180°F (82°C) for 8 hours. Alternatively you can use a slow cooker on low, or a sous vide setup at 145°F (63°C), and slow-roast for 8 hours.
- Pull out the meat, discard the vegetables, and strain the broth into your pan to reduce again. Once thickened into a glaze, remove it from the heat, then whisk in 3 tablespoons of butter, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the beef cheeks in the glaze, and serve.
Our beef cheeks are priced at $19.17/lb, and sold in 1.75-pound packets. Delivered frozen to your door.