This absolutely delicious risotto recipe will give you a classy gourmet meal option, that’s still relatively quick and easy to prepare. It uses our organic maple smoked coppa bacon, combined with scallops, squash, and sage, for a fantastic flavour combination.
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 4 cups bone broth or chicken stock
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmegiano reggiano
- 1 onions — finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic — finely diced
- 12-15 scallops
- 4 slices coppa bacon
- 8-10 fresh sage leaves
- Sea salt, pepper, dried sage, dried basil
- Heat a pot to medium high and add butter, onion and garlic. Cook for 5-10 minutes until softened.
- Add rice and stir to combine (1-2 minutes).
- Add one cup of bone broth, and stir until absorbed. Repeat until all 4 cups have been added and rice is cooked through.
- While rice cooks: add cubed butternut squash to a pot, cover with water and boil for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and mash.
- Add mashed squash to risotto and stir to combine, then add grated parmegiano and stir until melted.
- Bacon: cook however you prefer (I baked mine for 8 mins per side at 400°).
- Scallops: pat dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Heat a pan over medium high heat and add oil or butter. When hot, add scallops and cook 1-2 minutes per side or until opaque in colour.
- Sage: heat a generous drizzle of oil of choice over medium-high heat. Once hot, add sage leaves one at a time. Fry for 3-5 seconds then remove and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Put it all together: add risotto to a bowl and top with chopped coppa, scallops and crispy sage. Enjoy!
About the author:
I’m Mikayla Murphy, Certified Nutritional Practitioner and owner of Groundwork Health + Wellness! My entire practice revolves around traditional cooking and old fashioned nutrition as a way to regain your health.
I stick to traditions, not trends, to find true, vibrant health. We work together to build your health from the ground up using real food and the science of nutrition. I’d love to connect with you!