There’s a special kind of joy in making your own pizza dough from scratch — though you can also build this pizza with a ready-made crust, and it will still be delicious.
The combination of bacon, Montreal smoked beef, and fresh mozzarella, with marinara sauce and fresh basil, makes for a fantastic pizza topping. But you don’t have to follow our lead; you can also mix and match your own favourite toppings and create something that’s unique to you.
- 6 cups ‘00’ pizza and pasta flour
- 1/4 cup flour for dusting and rolling
- 2-1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon active yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Pizza toppings: marinara sauce, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, maple smoked bacon, and Montreal smoked beef.
- Mix water, yeast and salt, then add this mixture to the flour in a large bowl.
- Mix, then turn out onto a floured surface to kneed for 10 minutes.
- Place in a covered, greased bowl in a warm area to prove for 90 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl, and place on floured surface. Separate into 4 equal balls.
- Cover again and let rise for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- Place dough into a lightly greased cast iron pan, and spread to reach the edges.
- Top with marinara sauce, and garnish with your favourite toppings — I used fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, maple smoked bacon, and Montreal smoked beef.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 500°. Enjoy!
I’m Mikayla Murphy, Certified Nutritional Practitioner and owner of Groundwork Health + Wellness! My entire practice revolves around traditional cooking and old fashioned nutrition as a way to regain your health.
I stick to traditions, not trends, to find true, vibrant health. We work together to build your health from the ground up using real food and the science of nutrition. I’d love to connect with you!