The “Quality Starts Here” Verified Beef Production Program is a voluntary national on-farm food safety program, that recommends best production practices for beef farmers.
The program helps to make sure that you’re getting the safest, highest-quality beef possible from our farm. We keep detailed records of every one of our cattle, and identify and remove any possible health hazards before they become an issue.
As the saying goes, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”!
Overview of the program
The Quality Starts Here program was created in 1994 by the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association. It developed “Good Production Practice” (GPP) manuals for cattle producers, which provide information on how to reduce food safety risks during beef production.
The program also developed a HACCP (hazard analysis critical control point) model for beef cattle. This is an approach and philosophy that can be applied to food production systems, based on food safety risk management.
The national beef on-farm food safety program is based on the seven principles of HACCP:
- Identifying food safety hazards on the farm,
- Identifying good production practices (GPP) that can control the hazards on the farm,
- Defining target levels or critical limits for the hazards,
- Developing active monitoring procedures to ensure that the GPP’s are occurring,
- Determining corrective actions to take if problems occur,
- Developing methods to make sure the GPP’s work, and
- Record keeping to document GPP’s.
You can read more about the Quality Starts Here program at www.qualitystartshere.on.ca
“Quality Starts Here” at Whispering Meadows
We’ve developed a complete natural health management protocol that incorporates the principles of the Quality Starts Here program.
It’s all about producing the very best beef that we possibly can. Which gives you the best possible experience when you’re eating your steaks, roasts and hamburgers.