- 2 lb (1kg) beef stewing meat
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, cut lengthwise into slices
- 8 oz (250 g) mushrooms, halved
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) each, red wine and beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, salt and pepper
- Pan-fry bacon in Dutch oven or heavy stockpot using medium-high heat until lightly browned. Remove bacon; set aside. Saute onion and mushrooms in bacon fat until just browned. Remove vegetables; set aside.
- Brown beef in two batches adding some vegetable oil, if necessary. Sprinkle flour over browned meat. Add garlic, wine, broth, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, in 325F (160C) oven for 2 hours. Add reserved bacon, onion and mushrooms, cook 30 minutes longer.
Makes: 6 servings.