A gourmet recipe for a dish of cubed beef in consommé with sautéed mushrooms, served with buttered noodles or rice pilaf.
Try our beef!
Whispering Meadows is a family-farm producer of all-natural, hand butchered beef. You won’t believe the difference in taste and quality! Read more.
|8 lb||3.5 kg||Beef, chuck or shoulder, cut in cubes|
|1/2 c||125 mL||oil|
|3/4 c||175 mL||flour|
|5 3/4 c||1.4 L||beef stock or consommé, undiluted|
|3 c||750 mL||dry red wine*|
|liquid gravy browning, as desired*|
|2 tsp||10 mL||salt|
|8||8||garlic cloves, crushed|
|2 tsp||10 mL||thyme|
|pepper, as desired|
|2 tsp||10 mL||parsley, dried|
|1/2 c||125 mL||butter|
|8 c||2 L||mushroom caps or slices|
- Brown cubed beef in oil. Add onions and saute; transfer to an insert pan.
- Add flour to remaining shortening and continue cooking until flour mixture (roux) turns brown.
- Add consomme gradually to roux, stirring continually.
- Add red wine and, if desired, gravy browning.
- Cook until sauce thickens. Add seasonings. (Seasonings may be added together in a cheese cloth. Remove before adding mushrooms.)
- Pour sauce over beef in the insert pan. Sauce should cover the beef, if not, add more wine or consomme.
- Cover with tight-fitting lid or foil and simmer in a 180°C (350°F) oven for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender. Stir from time to time during cooking and if sauce becomes too thick, add more wine or consomme.
- Saute mushrooms in butter and reserve.
- When beef is cooked, stir in mushrooms. Skim off excess fat. Further reduce sauce, if necessary.
- Cook for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Check seasonings and serve hot with buttered noodles or rice pilaf.
*Proportion of wine to consomme may be varied, provided total amount of liquid remains unchanged.
Recipe courtesy of the Beef Information Centre, www.beefinfo.org
Whispering Meadows is a family beef farm in Ontario. You can buy our naturally raised, grass-fed Black Angus beef direct from our farm, for a price that you won’t believe. We think it’s the best-tasting, most tender beef you can find anywhere!
To learn more about Whispering Meadows natural family farm beef,
visit our home page….