The Simple Burger is a basic hamburger mix that you can throw together in just a minute or two. And here’s how you can spice it up with one of our 3 favourite recipes to elevate them into Sensational Burgers.
Simple Burger Ingredients
- 1 lb (500g) grassfed ground beef
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) minced onions
- 1 lightly beaten farm-fresh egg
- Lightly combine all ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper
- Gently form into four 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick patties. Avoid pressing them, having air spaces makes for the best burgers.
- Cook patties over medium-high heat on a lightly oiled grill. Cook for 5-7 minutes per side, testing doneness with a digital thermometer inserted sideways into centre of each patty — burgers are completely cooked when thermometer reads 160°F (71°C). If you prefer them a little pink on the inside, take them off the heat at 160°F (60°C).
Makes: 4 Burgers.
The Simple Burger Becomes Sensational
Take one batch of The Simple Burger mix, include some add-ins to the mix, match with some simple toppings and breads and VOILA — Sensational Burgers!
The Great Canadian Cheese Burger
Add-ins: 1 cup (250 mL) shredded aged Canadian Cheddar and 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
Toppings: crispy bacon, tomato slices, lettuce and chilli sauce
Breads: toasted sesame bun
Add-ins: 2 tbsp (30 mL) EACH toasted pine nuts and chopped raisins, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) EACH cinnamon and cumin
Toppings: chutney, splash of fresh lemon juice
Breads: grilled naan or flat bread
Burgers Olé Style
Add-ins: 1 pkg (35 g) taco seasoning mix
Toppings: guacamole or chimichurri sauce and red onion slices
Breads: grilled flour tortilla